Play the Spelling Bee to test your spelling knowledge on any list. To start a Spelling Bee:
- Find a list you'd like to practice spelling.
- Click the "Spelling Bee" button. This will start the spelling bee. If you are not logged in, you'll be prompted to log in (or create a new account).
- Start spelling!
Once you start the Spelling Bee, here's how the game works:
- You'll hear each word pronounced and see the definition of each word (with the word itself blanked out).
- Type each word into the text box and press the "Spell It!" button (or press enter) to submit your guess.
- If you get the spelling correct, click the "Next Word" button to move on to the next word. (Or, press the space bar)
- If you get the spelling incorrect, keep trying until you get it right. After your second guess, we'll start giving you hints. After your third try, we'll allow you to surrender by clicking the "I Surrender" button. This will move you on to the next word.
- Stay sharp. You'll have to re-do any words you've missed later in the game.
- The game is timed. The clock begins when you are shown a word and it pauses when you have spelled the word correctly.
- Click the "Look Up" or "Add to List" button after completing a word to learn more about that word or to add it to a list of words to study for later.
- Try to spell all the words correctly, beat your last streak, or your last overall time.
- Have fun!
The Spelling Bee
- You may leave the spelling bee and resume by returning to the page, but only on the same device.
- You do not earn points on Vocabulary.com for spelling bees.